Thursday, July 1, 2010

a meaty decision

Today I made a decision that will change the course of my life.

BIG NEWS? Well huge news. Huge like a sausage news...get your mind out of the gutter.

I've decided, after 15 years, that I am going to reintroduce red meat (in small amounts) to my diet. I'd been saying for awhile that I'd probably make the switch when I was pregnant, but since that's not happening any time soon (knock wood!), I think it's appropriate that I do it before my trip to Germany at the end of July. I know when I traveled in Austria & Czech Republic it was a headache and challenge to find food, and I can imagine Germany is going to be the same. PLUS, I really do want to be able to fully experience my friend's wedding and I know the sausage platter is going to be a big part of it. (I'm still sticking with the chicken for the main course though!).

In the last 10 years I've begun to define myself as both a foodie and a traveler, a wannabe Anthony Bourdain...without the whole New York kitchen thing. Having self-enforced dietary restrictions has proven, well, restricting. Part of having an open mind about the world, is having an open culinary mind. I'm considering my decision one on the path to enlightenment (although I'm sure some Buddhists may disagree).

Why the decision today? I've been thinking about it for awhile, but my coworker asking if I wanted to try some of his special spicy roast beef was sort of the final straw.

I also feel like I'm a point in my life now where I have control over my eating habits more than at any other time. I have a balanced diet, love vegetables, cook most of my meals, exercise regularly, so introducing a little extra fat into my weekly intake isn't going to make me gain 60 pounds back. If it does, I can cut it out again.

However, there are so many WISCONSIN-based things I'm looking forward to trying that my virgin tastebuds haven't ever experienced: burgers from Sobelman's & AJ Bombers, a beer soaked tailgate brat, Comet's Free Bacon Basket, Usinger's & Klement's Sausage, Honeypie's pork fries, venison during hunting season...

One thing I do know I'll be avoiding: McDonald's and other fast food...if I go back to red meat it's only going to be quality.

So when's the big day? I'm selecting Thursday, July 15. I know I'm going to be violently ill, so I've scheduled all day Friday (except for a hair appointment) and until a bachelorette party on Saturday to recuperate.

My decision is already getting the thumb's up. I think Brooke put it most bluntly: "it will be nice for us because we won't have to plan stuff around you!"

9 comments:

  1. You won't necessarily become ill, you've been eating plenty of animal proteins over the years. Just trying to assume the best! I say start small, one piece of bacon or a bite of burger and go slow. I'd hate for you to get sick and have it backfire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my first red meat (also after a 10 year hiatus) was The Baconator at Stonefly. Far from being sick, the damn thing made me feel like i could take over the world!
    Welcome back to the dark side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't even think of going back to it...hope you don't get too sick! I pay dearly when I unknowingly get something with beef stock in it. Good luck and I will miss having you in the "no fur - but feathers and fins are ok" camp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eating is such a very personal decision. Kudos to you for being aware enough to try out new territory. Let us know if you need any company on your brand new red-meat-eating adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

    http://forlots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

    http://forlots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful blog..pls visit mine to,and be a follower..thanks and God bless..http://forlots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. a great way to also keep in line with planet health goals is choosing free range, organic meat. It will give you the best shot at health, and also certainly is most humane for the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. we had an aunt go back to red meat after abstaining for years and she said she hadn't felt so good in ages! Uli and I eat plenty of red meat (mainly from a local grass-fed beef farm) and as part of an overall healthy diet and exercise we continue to lose fat and build muscle. Its great that you are re-opening yourself to more experiences! I can see you are finding weight management is less about quirky quick fixes (like avoiding red meat) and more about overall control and good choices:).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by The Accidental Wisconsinite. Your feedback is welcome, but please be civilized. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

mcarnold's shared items