Tuesday, October 12, 2010

one year ago

Me and a Lifesize Cream Puff in August 2009. I had not yet learned about portion control.

One year ago I dedicated myself to becoming a happier and healthier human being. I joined several of my co-workers in attending Weight Watchers At Work. Now a year later, I sit here about 60 pounds less (I honestly don't know since my scale died-- it's fluctuated between 60-70), and with an entirely different outlook on life. My original goal was to lose 30 by my 30th birthday and I blew that out of the water. Here are six things (one for every 10 pounds) me a year ago would've called you a liar for even suggesting:

6. That I'd be training and registered for a half marathon, find 5ks to be a light jog, and have climbed the US Bank Building and not died.

5. That I'd have tossed out half my closet since I'm wearing half the size I once busted out of, and no longer have "skinny" clothes in a wistful pile in the back. That I'd request a "small" when ordering race t-shirts. That I could walk into a fancy-schmansy boutique and try on stuff from the rack.

4. That I'd be the rejector more often than the rejectee. That I would no longer be the funny fat friend (well, I'm still funny, thank goodness, er, I hope). That my mojo is back.

3. That I wouldn't untag photos of myself on Facebook for looking like a moose. That people would see me after several months and not recognize me.

2. That I'd be inspiring others!

1. That I could openly admit and blog about my struggles and accomplishments.

Happier to pose with a Goddess than a Cream Puff in August 2010.
I would be remiss if I didn't THANK the slough of people who helped me through the past year. Big ups to my training/race crew -- Becky, Brooke, Tony, and sometimes Jason, Larissa, and Pete. My friends Maggie, Christina, and Eileen who are always open to a running hang out versus dinner. All the incredible Fit Milwaukee / DailyMile cult members, especially Amy, Anne, Tracey, Rochelle, Marty, and The Santiagos (plus many many more) who are constantly cheering me on. Tim and his Beer Runner column for showing me that you don't have to be a total square to be healthy. The twitterati like @Sp0on, @StuNamiSays, and @MidwestPhoto who watch for my Runmeter tweet to go out so they can send me a robotic encouragement. My family for listening to me ramble about my lifestyle changes every week on he phone. My best friend, Kat, whose own accomplishments far outpace mine and continued to motivate me to push harder. My coworkers who went through this with me and our fearless leader Gayle (bummed it ended in May before I could hit lifetime). The many, many friends and family members who "came out" to me as having done or currently doing Weight Watchers and inspired me along the way. THANK YOU ALL.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your progress, a year later. You've seen so much success... but most of all, you're just a better, happier version of you. And that's who we love. Cheers. SO happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you, you've worked so hard! And have no doubts, you are definitely still funny, don't worry about that. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible transformation! You look mahvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO PROUD OF YOU MEGHAN!!! Total goosebumps. MWAH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your success! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by The Accidental Wisconsinite. Your feedback is welcome, but please be civilized. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

mcarnold's shared items