Well I completely failed at posting my check in for February, but I've been just a tad distracted. As you'll see below, I've not done the greatest at this, but I've made some progress.
Also, I've decided to continue posting these 31 by 32 updates here, as I started 'em here!
Anyway, here's my 2 months into 31 status report:
1) Make at least one MAJOR change in my life.
COMPLETE! I think moving to San Francisco and starting a new job on Monday count.
2) Visit one of my five remaining states - Alaska, Arkansas, Mississipi, North Dakota, or Oklahoma.
No progress made.
3) Get something published.
No progress made. Although I am debating writing a letter to the editor of the JS or Milwaukee Business Journal as to why I left Wisconsin.
4) Do 31 non-girl pushups in a row.
I need to restart my pushup streak. I was doing well in CORE class, but still unable to really get above 10.
5) Change someone's life for the better (other than my own).
Hopefully I've completed this one, although it's something I try to do on a daily basis.
6) Work my way through the entire "Take Off In Italian" CD set I bought in 2003.
Packed it, but haven't started :)
7) Digitize my CD collection.
8) Visit one or more family members apart from Christmas.
Have to look into booking a flight in May, once I get my work schedule figured out.
9) Take advantage of a crazy spontaneous opportunity.
Like moving to California? How about going to protest in Madison and losing a day of packing?
10) Attempt another recipe out of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking"
Packed it. Waiting until I'm settled to attempt.
11) See six different local bands live.
No progress. An amendment to this is that I'm going to now count both San Francisco AND Milwaukee bands. So if a MKE band makes it out west, I'm going to make an effort to go.
12) Read and review one non-fiction and one fiction book a month.
The reading of fiction has gone well, the reviewing and non-fiction not so much. For January I read "Tinkers" by Paul Harding and for February "A Visit From the Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan. Really liked the former, it was like reading a painting. The latter I got sucked into, was definitely enjoying, but HATED the last chapter. So much that it just ruined the book for me.
13) Contact an elected official, at some level, once a month about an issue that is important to me.
In January I let Chris Larson know that I hoped he'd fight for keeping the smoking ban, but obviously in February things got mega out of control. I contacted the Fab 14 and told them I supported them, and I also emailed Sen. Dale Schultz to thank him for being the one Republican in the Wisconsin Legislature with a soul.
14) See and review at least one film per month.
Again, reviews have been bad, I got January in with Rabbit Hole, but I have been terrible about others. In February, I finally watched The Social Network. I also caught a screening of Carlos, courtesy of Milwaukee Film. Other than that, I sucked at getting to the theater to catch anything since I've been busy with item #1. A huge regret is that I never made one final trip to the UWM Union Theatre before departing.
15) Try one new recipe a month.
In Jan/Feb, I made the arugula omelette I blogged about, and also a curry carrot & celeriac soup I sort of made up. In Feb/Mar I came up with a sweet potato mash with random pantry supplies I had to use up before moving.
16) Try a new [to me] locally-owned restaurant each month.
In January I failed in Milwaukee, but rocked in San Francisco on my scouting trip with memorable meals to RN74 (bone marrow with pork belly & tomato compote) and Gracias Madre (vegan Mexican). In Feb/Mar I finally made it to Maxie's Southern Comfort before moving from Milwaukee.
17) Go to an art show or gallery once a month.
In January I hit up both a Caggio opening and gallery night, but FAILED at making it to something in the past month.
18) Dedicate one blog post a month to promoting a local business.
19) Dedicate one blog post a month to promoting a local non-profit.
20) Leave the county I live in at least once per month.
Jan/Feb: San Francisco
Feb/Mar: Madison (protests!), Brookfield (wedding shower), San Francisco (move)
21) Write one album and one concert review a month.
FAILED at reviewing, but have snagged some awesome albums this year. Jan/Feb brought me The Decemberists - The King is Dead, The Smith Westerns -- Dye It Blonde, and Iron & Wine -- Kiss Each Other Clean and Feb/Mar Radiohead -- King of Limbs, Bright Eyes -- The People's Key. My friend Grant also hooked me up with the new Mogwai, Cut Copy and Toro y Moi, all of which I'm digging, especially for running.
As for concerts, I included the 2/12 Robyn show for Jan/Feb and caught Mucca Pazza on Tuesday for Feb/Mar....still, sucked on reviewing.
22) Applaud bipartisan efforts in my social media forums at least four times.
I have been giving massive props to Sen. Dale Schultz (see above).
23) Attend games of at least four different sports.
Hit up a Marquette men's basketball game in Jan/Feb (vs. DePaul), but need to stay on this.
24) Go to at least four theatre performances.
Saw the excellent The 39 Steps at the Milwaukee Rep and the experimental Genesis at the Milwaukee Ballet (if ballet counts as theater - I make the rules, so yes)
25) Go vegetarian for 31 days.
Will be easier in CA.
26) Go for 31 days without consuming any soda.
Hmmm, need to plan when.
27) Bike to / from work every single day for 31 days.
We'll see when my bike gets here and where I land!
28) Go for one full week without consuming any alcohol.
Need to plan.
29) Go for one full week without consuming any processed foods.
Need to plan, but again, will be easier in CA.
30) Have one week where I only consume foods made with locally-sourced ingredients.
Again, feel like I'm cheating...
31) Spend one-on-one time with a friend at least once a week.
Moving made this very, very easy, but I need to get on it here.
** PROMISE THAT I'LL LINK THIS POST EVENTUALLY **