Monday, May 3, 2010

monday munchies: tastes of spring!


I could not be more thrilled that Farmers Market Season is slowly beginning. Following the Rock N' Run on Saturday, our gang headed over to to the West Allis Farmer's Market to see what we could dig up.  

I picked up spinach, mushrooms, bread from a little old lady that looked like my late Aunt Mary, rhubarb, a red onion, and some asparagus (I am allergic to grocery store asparagus, but all natural stuff is just fine and SO FREAKING TASTY). I also bought some flowers and herbs to plant on my balcony garden.
Celery cutting, German Chamomile, Russian Tarragon from the market and my chives that survived the winter indoors.

 Alyssum and Impatiens. I bought them from the CUTEST little old man. He sang to the customers, showed me pictures of his garden and had a sweatshirt that said "Man plants...God grants." 

Gardening aside, you and I both know that no trip to the market would be complete without me getting busy in my kitchen. The recipes I made were relatively healthy too.
Low-fat quiche using local eggs, spinach, mushroom, asparagus, Parmesan, and Saxon Creamery Green fields cheese.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Muffins - using fresh local rhubarb and frozen local strawberries from summer 2009.
 It's going to be one tasty summer!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Accidental Wisconsinite. Your feedback is welcome, but please be civilized. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

mcarnold's shared items