Wednesday, June 17, 2009

monday munchies: early season treats

Yes, I realize it's Wednesday, but it's been a busy week.

I'm still loving the return of the East Town Farmer's Market.With my goodies this week, I managed to create two delicious creations which provided me three days worth of lunch:



This is Bok Choy Gratin which I found via the Epicurious App on my iPhone. This app is FREE and pretty amazing. You can look up recipes by ingredient, make shopping lists, and follow the preparation steps all on your phone. SO great. Anyway, it was absolutely tasteriffic. I used Bok Choy from the Farmer's Market, Gruyere from the West Allis Cheese Shoppe, whole nutmeg from the Spice House, and organic Sassy Cow milk from Good Harvest Market. I didn't have a shallot, so I subbed green onions (from the farmer's market) and instead of whole milk, I used 2% and stirred in famer's market goat cheese from last week. Highly recommend as a nice side.

I also made (and neglected to photograph) a turkey meatloaf. I sort of winged this one. I used Ruegsegger Farms ground turkey (I am going to become a poultry snob), Willoway Farm free range eggs, more of the aforementioned scallions, dill from the market, and garlic (frozen Trader Joe's, alas), oh and breadcrumbs of course. I mushed everything together and put it in a bread loaf pan with foil over it on 350 for 20 minutes. I took it out and spread dill mustard from the Arena Cheese Shop over the top. Then I baked it for another 35 minutes. PERFECTION!

Tomorrow I get my first CSA of the season, so hopefully more tasty homecooked meals will be coming my way. I made something awesome tonight too, but I'll save it for next Monday!

And of course, in addition to food, fresh local flowers are another bonus to the market. Until next week...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Accidental Wisconsinite. Your feedback is welcome, but please be civilized. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

mcarnold's shared items