Thursday, December 4, 2008

milwaukee props: milwaukee's generosity

Despite the economy in the crapper, the United Way of Greater Milwaukee topped its $44 million goal this year.

I've always been amazed at the generosity of Milwaukeeans. I can't recall which disaster, but I believe this city was the #1 donor to either 9/11, the tsunami or Hurricane Katrina. In fact, it easily could've been all three.

With all of its own problems, it's good to see Milwaukeeans stepping up to help their own city too. As I mentioned I did a volunteer project for United Way a few years ago, and they truly do spread the wealth to some fantastic agencies. Luckily I am able to donate through my workplace giving program which makes it so easy.

The news today comes on the heels of learning that the Stuff the Bus event from last week raised 208,000 pounds of food for Second Harvest of Wisconsin. That was 8,000 over the goal!

There are many, many causes in this city to donate your time or money to. I really enjoy highlighting them in this blog and will continue to do so. But tonight I definitely wanted to share the good news of these two goal breakings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Accidental Wisconsinite. Your feedback is welcome, but please be civilized. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

mcarnold's shared items