Monday, March 9, 2009

monday munchies: post-chili coma

Maribeth, Ben and Becky pre-coma.

Sunday marked one of my favorite days of the year -- WMSE's Rockabilly Chili Contest.

There were 53 chili recipes to vote for, narrowed down to 19 for me in the vegetarian category. I did scope a couple poultry-meat chilis so ventured into that category slightly.

It seemed this year I couldn't turn anywhere in the past week without hearing about the event, so to no surprise it was packed.

Luckily packed = successful, which meant one of my favorite Milwaukee organizations ended up raising $32,000. Rock on!

So which chilis did I try?

Brewed Café (tasty and my pick for Best Display), Fuel Café (mmm--my pick for best vegetarian), Koppa's Fulbeli Deli (the last one I ate, was too full to judge), Maxie's Southern Comfort (the first one I tried and excellent cornbread), Outpost Natural Foods (turkey chili, was a little bland for my tastes, but the cilantro sour cream rocked), Roots Restaurant & Cellar (not a big fan, but great name -- Seitan's Balls), Good Life (hot! hot! hot! best heat for me) and Flannery's (white bean and chicken, my vote for best meat--but my field was extremely limited).

Flannery's chili.


Mar and Maxie's delicious cornbread. I really want to eat there!

Although we all nearly died of a chili coma afterward, it was well worth the rainy afternoon trip to the Kern Center. Unfortunately due to daylight savings and the weather (oh, and probably my hangover), I did not make it to church in the morning. After the event it was out of the question. I worshiped at the House of Chili this week, and that's okay with me. Some of the concoctions were truly divine.

I'll be back next year. And hopefully get a better picture of the world's best mullet then!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Accidental Wisconsinite. Your feedback is welcome, but please be civilized. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

mcarnold's shared items