Saturday, April 11, 2009

Milwaukee Props: How I Spent My Opening Day

No, I was not at Miller Park to see this:



(Not the best camera work, but it was all I could find on YouTube)

Instead I was jumping and screaming with my friends at The Bomb Shelter in Walker's Point. With free food, free shots when a homerun is hit (thanks Corey Hart for that Apple Pie), an unpretentious atmosphere and a daunting beer list, I can see how this bar has quickly become one of Milwaukee's faves. The "Ultimate Peep Show" in the back was just an added bonus. Greg's collecting skills are truly unmatched, so it's not surprising that he was able to find rarities like "Peep-flavored" popcorn.

I joined my friends Wren and Sarah there around 3:15 and while I had to pass up on the free wings (darn Good Friday), I did enjoy a delicious Bloody Mary (extra hot--they were out of Tabasco and substituted Sriracha sauce) with a Lakefront I.P.A. chaser (hey, look at that "Goes great with: Any spicy food").

I then decided to take an expedition through the Bomb Shelter's mindblowing craft beer menu. I opted first Ale Asylum Mercy Belgian Grand Cru. I thought Mercy may be a good choice, since I missed Good Friday service for a much-needed facial at Neroli. It was a pretty intense Belgian, I could really only handle one. I felt pretty special drinking it, as I guess there's only 600 cases out there. Next up was the recommended Yuengling Original Black & Tan. It tasted eerily spot on to the mixture of Guinness and Harp. I was glad to finally taste a beer from this microbrewery as well, since I'd never heard of it until there was a friendly wager between them and Lakefront during the Brewers/Phillies playoff last year. This beer was really delicious and went down smooth. I'd definitely try it again. I capped off my beer journey after Weeks' victorious slide with a Central Waters Brewing Company Kosmyk Charlie Y2K Catastrophe Ale. I'll admit, I picked this beer just for the name. I don't know if I've ever had an "American Barleywine"-style beer before. It packed quite a punch, but I was glad to discover another Wisconsin brewery.

By this time Sarah had headed out and Jason, Grant and Becky had all joined the party. Grant and Wren opted to stay at the bar, but the rest of us were craving fish fry. We headed up the street to Triskele's to grab some fish and delicious water. Food was delicious (just the right amount of crispiness on the fish and even the coleslaw was good (I don't really like coleslaw)), but Jason did awkwardly embarass our table, so we shoveled the food in and got out quickly.

It was still early and Becky's brother wasn't getting in until 9:30 on the train, so we decided to cap off the night at Bryant's. Becky and I tried the recommended Candlelight cocktail for a change. It was quite tasty -- and on fire! Jason got a Black Magic. Becks and I ended with a Straw Hat for her and a Grasshopper for me. Even though there's no longer old ladies, Bryant's retains a special place in my heart.

Best part about the day drinking...I was in bed by 9:30 and up and at 'em early this morning. If only every day could be Opening Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Accidental Wisconsinite. Your feedback is welcome, but please be civilized. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

mcarnold's shared items