Tuesday, February 24, 2009

lenting it up: getting serious

Last year I skipped Lent. I missed Ash Wednesday mass due to our 22" blizzard and Good Friday for a 13 incher. I don't remember what I gave up.

This year, being in spiritual purification mode, I'm really going to make an effort to reflect and do things the right way.

As you may know, Lent is, in sum, "the 40-day season of prayer, fasting and almsgiving." I figure I should focus on those in my Meghan way.

Prayer: What better time to revisit the yet visited Milwaukee Challenge? I'm going to start with Ash Wednesday Mass at Old Saint Mary Parish tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. Hopefully I can keep up the momentum.

Fasting: I am pretty sure the "fasting" part is where "giving stuff up" comes in, in addition to the whole no meat on Fridays or Ash Wednesday thing. So what am I giving up? I feel like I should always give up something physical and something a little more abstract. That said, I'm giving up soda (loaded up on Coca-Cola at dinner tonight) and Facebook-stalking (only 40 days, only 40 days). Guess what is going to be more difficult?

Almsgiving: This may be tricky, as I just dropped a ridiculous amount of money on my little incident last weekend and am getting hit with a $60 bill for a Q-Tip from when I got a strep swab a few weeks back. However, I think I'm going to pool at least some leftover cash for a good cause this Lent. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it local.

What are you giving up for Lent? Even if you're not Catholic, it's a good season for self-reflection.

3 comments:

  1. Your almsgiving could be time instead of money. Or you could take the money you spent on soda and donate it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or spiritual purification could lead to apartment purification and the donation of items you no longer use/need to a local charity as your almsgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm giving up swearing. Thus far I'm doing pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by The Accidental Wisconsinite. Your feedback is welcome, but please be civilized. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

mcarnold's shared items