Monday, January 19, 2009

WTFisconsin: economy kills indie book store

First Atomic Records, now Harry W. Schwartz books.

I was devastated when I saw the news of my favorite local independent bookstore closing. As you recall, I specifically targeted Schwartz for my holiday shopping.

The silver lining? The store manager is going to reopen the Downer store location as Boswell Books.

I'm also trying to gather momentum for an Atomic/Schwartz Grieving/Shopping Spree. Still working out details in my head, but I'm thinking Saturday, February 7. So spread the word.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, mourn this loss. I can't help but wonder if it was a transition from buying books in stores to buying books online or if it was a matter of economies of scale battling the national chains. Obviously the economic climate was the straw that broke the camel's back, but both of the above two items did the initial damage.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by The Accidental Wisconsinite. Your feedback is welcome, but please be civilized. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

mcarnold's shared items