Saturday, November 8, 2008

slacker saturdays: hardly

After my night in last night, got up early to go help my pal Wren pull up carpet in her new pad. Learned that the key to buying a home is to have lots of friends. Seven of us got up the carpet and tacks in four rooms in about 3 hours. She's very lucky that there were near mint condition (save a couple spots) floors underneath.

Being an apartment dweller myself, I'm excited to help my friend on home improvement projects. It will be a good learning experience for the future, when I can get out of debt and think about going into it again by buying a house. I've definitely decided I want an older home. Milwaukee just has so many cool ones!

Whenever I do buy I want to make sure I live in a neighborhood where I can live car-free. That narrows it down to Bay View, Walker's Point and Riverwest. The latter two are still a bit sketch now, but I think in five years when I can afford to do something they will be improved.

Unless of course I win the lottery before then, then it's Lake Drive all the way.

Anyway, glad I had that activity planned this morning because I missed the hubbub of the Veteran's Day Parade which travels outside my living room window. I'm all in favor of vets (my dad and a few of my friends are veterans), but I'll admit it's really hard to get stuff done when there's WWI motorcycles, bi-planes and buglers passing your apartment.

Headed back out in a moment (now that parade traffic has subsided) to check out a reading/tasting at the Downer Ave Harry W. Schwartz of an Indian Cookbook.

And there's a ton else going on today here in The Mil. If I wasn't set on being low-key this weekend, I'd totally head out to the Brew City Bruisers season-opening bout tonight. I truly love how much my city has to offer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Accidental Wisconsinite. Your feedback is welcome, but please be civilized. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

mcarnold's shared items