Monday, December 1, 2008

milwaukee props: the "new" domes

One of Milwaukee's institutions, The Domes (aka Mitchell Park Conservatory), just got a major facelift. Unfortunately I can't appreciate all the changes, as I had never (in my 10 years here!) been inside.

That changed tonight as our FUEL Milwaukee team, Healthy & Green, hosted its first adopt a non-profit event for The Park People. We not only got comped admission to the venue (which is now open late on Monday evenings so visitors can check out its groovy new LED lighting display (and light show!)), but also a behind-the-scenes tour from Friends of the Domes Board President Roger Krawiecki, with some insight from Domes director Sandy Folaron. For a meet up that came together rather quickly thanks to the help of Park People Executive Director Janet Marie Tierney, I would definitely consider tonight a success. We had about six or so FUEL members show up who are not Creative Council members. I also haven't seen any of these folks at other FUEL events, so it was great to have them choose to come to our shindig on a cold, wintery night.

I learned that the Friends of the Domes are looking for energetic volunteers. The organization is definitely adjusting to a changing environment. They need to boost attendance figures. They need special events assitance. They need to creatively connect with education programs--as public school budgets fall field trips get cut (SO SAD!). If you are interested in helping with any of these, please get involved via FUEL or contact the Friends directly through their website.

There are definitely some excited things on the horizon for the conservatory. The County has plans to move their greenhouses from the County Grounds to behind the Domes. There is also talk of starting a urban farm there. Fantastic!

Personally, I can't wait to go back and explore with my camera lens some more. The LED lighting at night provided for some cool shots. Below are some of my favorites:

From Tourist in My Own Town


From Tourist in My Own Town


From Tourist in My Own Town


From Tourist in My Own Town


From Tourist in My Own Town


From Tourist in My Own Town


From Tourist in My Own Town

After the event, part of our group headed over to Sobelman's for some socializing. That turned to be interesting as our team leader Lori, who works at Marquette, brought along her "international buddy," Justin from Malaysia, for the evening. I learned that Malaysian:Singapore::Wisconsin:Illinois. I also learned that there's not need for firearms if you know the "dim mak" in martial arts (aka death strike)

Even though I can't experience the Sobelman's burger, I did finally try their famous Bloody Mary. I don't normally like to be that girl who orders a bloody at night, but I found out from The Consumerist that today is National Bloody Mary Day.

What other way to celebrate?

From Tourist in My Own Town

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by The Accidental Wisconsinite. Your feedback is welcome, but please be civilized. Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

mcarnold's shared items